Saturday, November 7, 2009

It's a Bumn, a but, a bump...It's a CAKE! - (from scratch even)

In my last post I had made Cage Bars for the drama club's concession stand during intermission of the fall production. They turned out pretty good. I expected the filling to be a little cheesecakier? maybe, but still they were tasty! (I only swiped a little bitty bar).

And I couldn't remeber what C.A.G.E. actually stood for. Cardinals Acting Guild Entourage. Cardinals being the school mascot obviously. Yay me! :)

I also had a list of places I need to provide treats besides the CAGE event, and the next one is tomorrow night at Beth Moore Bible Study (Ester if anyone has ever done Beth Moore's and is curoius).

I had found a recipe for pumpkin spice cake on Pinch My Salt (here).

I gathered the ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice*
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
1 cup canned pumpkin
3/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


  And I notice how much I shop at Wal-Mart! I run out and get All-spice, fresh Vanilla, and nutmeg while the eggs and sour cream are coming to room temperature.

Then I follow the directions to a T. At which point I forgot to take pictures.
Directions 
     1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a Bundt pan (or even better, use Baker’s Joy spray).
     2. In a medium bowl, sift or whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices; set  aside.
     3. In a large bowl combine eggs, sour cream, pumpkin, and oil. Beat well with a hand mixer (or use a stand mixer), scraping down sides with a spatula, until everything is well blended. Add flour mixture a little at a time, beating well after each addition, until everything is well combined. Scrape down sides, then blend in the vanilla extract.
     4. Pour batter into prepared Bundt pan and bake in the center of a 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack for ten minutes, then invert cake onto wire rack and let cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar immediately before serving if desired.
     Yield: 10-12 servings
     Recipe Notes: *Pumpkin pie spice can be substituted with 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice, and 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (or make your own combination). Make sure to butter your Bundt pan really well and get into all the crevices. I like to use a spray like Baker’s Joy because I’ve never had a problem with cakes sticking to the pan when I use it.

I waited patiently and crossed my fingers.

I have never made a bundt cake

I have never ever made a cake from scratch.

It came out and smelled terrific! I got nervous on the inversion but....

Here's how it turned out...again, I have no idea about how it tastes! I hope it's as moist and yummy looking as the one over on Pinch My Salt. I'll know tomorrow night...if it's not there's always the cheese tray to snack on. :)

UPDATE!!
I took the cake to Bible study...and low and behold through the miracle of hectic schedules...I had my date written down wrong. It wasn't my night. So I apologized and asked everyone to be my guinne pig anyway :) Plus I will find another recipe to try for when it IS my night!



It was a very good cake! I think for my oven I'd reduce cooking time by at least 5 minutes. Mine wasn't as pretty and moist as the one shown over on Pinch My Salt, but still nicely moist! My mom makes a similar cake with the addition of walnuts and chocolate chips. I'd call my first attempt at a scratch cake a sucess!

No comments:

Post a Comment