Thursday, November 5, 2009

Fall ambition - Crock pot chicken and Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars

If my kids weren't teenagers, I'd swear I was nesting again! I was so very domestic today! And It was such a perfect fall day!


First I threw together an experiment (albeit pretty common) in the crock pot for supper. I knew I'd need it since in the next 3 days I have to have 2 dozen 'treat's to the school to sell at a bake sale at intermission of the Maquoketa High School Drama production of Tucker's Ridge and Surviving Lunch - 2 short plays that take on issues of today, especially bullying. The Drama club calls it'self C.A.G.E. (although I can not for the life of me remember the acronym).

In addition I have treats for my women's Beth Moore bible study on Sunday and may as well make my treats for our service circle on Tuesday that I co-hostess...which means I bring treats.

Hectic baking coming up and plan on doing the 2 dozen tonight. So into the crock pot I threw some boneless skinless chicken breast I had thawed out. But looking at it I thought it didn't look like that much chicken, so I got out 2 frozen chicken thighs. I put them on the bottom and layered the chicken breast on top.

Then I mixed together 3 cans of 'cream of' soup. 2 chick 1 mushroom, 1/2 a package of beef onion soup mix, lemon pepper and Lawrey's -both lightly since the soup mix is usually very salty. Poured that over, put it on low and off to work.

Here's what I came home to:

 I had to put it on high for just a few minutes with the lid off to get it to thicken up, but then it was terrific. I had it over regular wide egg noodles. It was filling and satisfying and took no time to put together.
It does need a vegetable. Any suggestions? I plan next time to add onion and mushroom and also some red wine. What about large chopped cauliflower?

While that was thickening I threw a pan of cookies in the oven



Don't think me too ambitious. These are from a roll :)

Then I did undertake to actually try a recipe. It's from the Pillsbury website and it's called Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars. YUMMY sounding! So I thought, why not. 44 is not to old to start baking!

So I put them together. I had to modify the recipe only in that I used a roll and a half of cookie dough. (ooops, I guess that's not baking)

You crumble and press the dough down for the crust, in a small bowl mix together 1 pkg of cream cheese, 1 egg and 1/2 cup sugar for the filling then spread over the 'crust' dough (you can also add 1/2 cup coconut, but i"m not a fan), then crumble and sprinkle more dough for the top crust. I had read some reviews that suggested plenty of dough for the top especially.


It went together just perfectly!
And came out just beautifully!


They have to cool for 30 minutes and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours before I can cut a tiny piece to see how they turned out. The review said they can be hard to get out. I hope not too hard. I need to cut a dozen but since they are bound to be rich, I can make them smaller.

I got a kick out of the fact that I was making these for the drama club - CAGE....get it bars for CAGE....CAGE Bars! teeheehee
Well it tickled me. ;)

Next up - tomorrow night maybe? If not Saturday. Pecan Pie bars and then Pumpkin Spice Cake.

Oh heck ok... the Pecan Pie Bars are a mix but the cake...totally from scratch!

I'm linking to the always inspiring, always mouth watering Foodie Friday over at Gollum's





10 comments:

  1. Choc. Chip cheese cake bars. Mmmmm sounds yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, did you have a busy week. Necessity is the mothe of invention- the chicken sounds great!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing wrong with a GOOD mix. Plus you change it up your own way. At least you are getting it done for the bake sale. good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were a busy woman taking care of all the food needs. Good job and keep working in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a very busy lady :-) The chicken and the cake bars both sound wonderful. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are never to old to start baking! Don't be surprised if you get hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chocolate Chip Cheese Cake Bars sound and look YUMMY!!! and the chicken sounds and looks GREAT!!! What a PERFECT!!! meal for the family.
    I have become a follower of your blog, I love to share recipes and ideas. Come by and visit my blog and maybe do the same.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the recipes...I'm in to crock pot cooking. Nothing better than throwing a few things in the crock pot and coming home after work to a prepared hot meal! The choc. chip cheese cake bars sound fabulous.
    Enjoy your busy weekend.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. This has made me hungry! Everything sounds very good! I like the "cage bars" recipe, might try it!

    Thanks for visiting my blog today!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, my...that Crock Pot Chicken sounds wonderful. Maybe just fix yourself a nice green salad and you won't have to add a veggie.?
    All the cooking sound delicious. Not much I love better than a good cookie..and..ALL cookies are good! :O)

    I am so glad you are going on your Walk to Emmaus. I wish EVERYbody would go on one. The best, BY FAR, 3 days of my life. I have such a good story about MY walk that I must post about one day.
    Blessings to you!!
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete